Thursday, April 29, 2010

Show R-E-S-P-E-C-T



NO, I’m not yelling at you…. this is NOT some rant! I’m literally talking about the live play-musical journey- show that is going on right now at the Society Hill Playhouse in Philadelphia called “Respect”.

I’ve lived in Delco all of my life, where we are only minutes from the city of Philadelphia, but we avoid going “in-town” because of
  • The parking
  • The traffic
  • The hustle/bustle
  • The prices
Well my fellow Delaware Conuntians (yes I am aware that is not a word) I advise, that you, especially you women, make the “oh-so-long” 20 minute trek in town. Trust me, this show is worth it.

I went last weekend with my Mom, Aunt and Sister. Tickets are between $40-$45 but if you snag one of the shows coupons that comes in the Clipper Magazine (you know that book of coupons that gets delivered to your house?) Well if you use that, then tickets are buy one get one half off. We used the coupons and only paid a fraction of the cost!

We arrived to the city early to get dinner before the show and pick up our tickets at will-call. The employee’s at Society Hill Playhouse recommended a restaurant right around the corner called “La Forno.” They told us that if we informed the restaurant that we were going to see a play at SHP we would receive a discount on our bill.

We walked around the corner, onto South Street, and upon arrival at La Forno we were greeted by the owner of the restaurant. Our waitress was wonderful, the food was INCREDIBLE (the brick-oven-pizza made me feel like I was back in Italy!) They knew we were on a schedule so everything came out in a timely fashion. The food was exceptional but reasonably prices ($$) and we did receive a discount on our bill because of the SHP. With full bellies, and after polishing off a bottle of wine, the four of us headed over to see the show.

WHAT A SHOW IT WAS!!! It’s like a musical, entertaining, hysterical, history lesson of how women and people have changed since the 1900’s. What’s amazing is that all of this change, is marked by our music. Things we subconsciously listen to, sing along with and hum to ourselves. Yet, unless you know the context of the music and the generation whom it was released for, you chance missing its impact.


For instance…

In the early 1900’s when women were typically obedient house wives they hummed along to “If I Knew You Were Comin’ I’d’ve Baked A Cake” or “Que Sera Sera.” By WWII it was “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” and “My Man” into the 1960’s and 1970’s it evolved into “I Am Woman” and “I Will Survive

We women have come a long way baby! We have evolved from “I Will Follow Him” “As Long As He Needs Me” and “I’m Gonna Make You Love Me” to “You Don’t Own Me”, “These Boots Are Made For Walking” and “New Attitude.”

It amazing to see how we women, people and our music has evolved with time! The play showcases a four piece band with all live music and four women who magically belt-out all 40 songs with absolute perfection. I couldn’t decide which one had the better voice because I was awed by all of them.

Convinced you should go yet? Well hurry up, because they extended the show only until May 30th! So get your tails down there. The Show plays at Society Hill Playhouse Wednesday at 2 pm and 7:30 pm, Thursday at 7:30 pm, Friday at 8 pm, Saturday at 2 pm and 8 pm, Sunday at 3 pm .

I Give It.....















xoxo

Lana










No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your comments and food for thought...

Related Posts with Thumbnails